|POSITIVE THINKING Quotations
|Страница 1 из 1|
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 01 окт 2011, 10:05 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||POSITIVE THINKING Quotations|
• When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
• Drop the idea that you are Atlas carrying the world on your shoulders. The world would go on even without you. Don't take yourself so seriously.
• Those who are fired with an enthusiastic idea and who allow it to take hold and dominate their thoughts find that new worlds open for them. As long as enthusiasm holds out, so will new opportunities.
• It is of practical value to learn to like yourself. Since you must spend so much time with yourself you might as well get some satisfaction out of the relationship.
• Joy increases as you give it, and diminishes as you try to keep it for yourself. In giving it, you will accumulate a deposit of joy greater than you ever believed possible.
• Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will.
• Never talk defeat. Use words like hope, belief, faith, victory.
• Watch your manner of speech if you wish to develop a peaceful state of mind. Start each day by affirming peaceful, contented and happy attitudes and your days will tend to be pleasant and successful.
• The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
• A positive mental attitude is a belief that things are going to turn out well, and that you can overcome any kind of trouble or difficulty.
• The tests of life are not meant to break you, but to make you.
• Live your life and forget your age.
• If there is no fun in it, something is wrong with all you are doing.
• Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 01 окт 2011, 13:12 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||Types of thinking|
happiness_400.jpg [16.26 КБ]
Types of thinking
Philosophers and psychologists alike have long realized that thinking is not of a “single piece.” There are many different kinds of thinking, and there are various means of categorizing them into a “taxonomy” of thinking skills, but there is no single universally accepted taxonomy. One common approach divides the types of thinking into problem solving and reasoning, but other kinds of thinking, such as judgment and decision making, have been suggested as well.
Obstacles to effective thinking
A better understanding of the processes of thought and problem solving can be gained by identifying factors that tend to prevent effective thinking. Some of the more common obstacles, or blocks, are mental set, functional fixedness, stereotypes, and negative transfer.
A mental set, or “entrenchment,” is a frame of mind involving a model that represents a problem, a problem context, or a procedure for problem solving. When problem solvers have an entrenched mental set, they fixate on a strategy that normally works well but does not provide an effective solution to the particular problem at hand. A person can become so used to doing things in a certain way that, when the approach stops working, it is difficult for him to switch to a more effective way of doing things.
Functional fixedness is the inability to realize that something known to have a particular use may also be used to perform other functions. When one is faced with a new problem, functional fixedness blocks one's ability to use old tools in novel ways. Overcoming functional fixedness first allowed people to use reshaped coat hangers to get into locked cars, and it is what first allowed thieves to pick simple spring door locks with credit cards.
Another block involves stereotypes. The most common kinds of stereotypes are rationally unsupported generalizations about the putative characteristics of all, or nearly all, members of a given social group. Most people learn many stereotypes during childhood. Once they become accustomed to stereotypical thinking, they may not be able to see individuals or situations for what they are.
Negative transfer occurs when the process of solving an earlier problem makes later problems harder to solve. It is contrasted with positive transfer, which occurs when solving an earlier problem makes it easier to solve a later problem. Learning a foreign language, for example, can either hinder or help the subsequent learning of another language.
http://original.search.eb.com.vlib.inte ... cle-275928
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 01 окт 2011, 13:13 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||Re: POSITIVE THINKING Quotations|
The Oxford English Dictionary defines optimism as having "hopefulness and confidence about the future or successful outcome of something; a tendency to take a favourable or hopeful view."
The word is originally derived from the Latin optimum, meaning "best." Being optimistic, in the typical sense of the word, ultimately means one expects the best possible outcome from any given situation. This is usually referred to in psychology as dispositional optimism.
Positive thinking is not one of our natural senses. We are not born with this ability. Positive thinking techniques are not taught in schools . Positive thinking, is however very important to maintaining a happy and healthy lifestyle.
Many of us know what positive thinking is, but not all of us know how to be positive or how to maintain a positive attitude. So for those of you who need a little help we have put together a list of positive thinking tips to help you maintain a positive attitude.
A glass of water, demonstrating the eternal conundrum of whether the glass is half full or half empty.
Positive thinking tips and techniques
1. Smile: It has been scientifically proven that the mere act of smiling can improve your overall mood and outlook on a situation.
2. Volunteer: When you get out of yourself and start focusing on others you stop focusing on how bad you’ve got it and instead focus on what you have that you can give.
3. Set goals: Those who have a goal they are working toward tend to focus on the possibilities that lie ahead versus the current negative situations they are facing.
4. Recite positive affirmations or positive statements: This will help train your mind to focus on more positive thoughts.
5. Listen to uplifting music: Music has a way of moving us in ways nothing else can. So, try making a cd of your favorite songs, the ones that make you smile.
6. Find a inspirational quote: Browse inspirational quotes and print out the ones that move you. Hang them up where you can see them every day.
7. Get a haircut: People tend to feel better about themselves when they look good. So, stop putting it off. Get a haircut, get a manicure or pedicure, buy yourself a new outfit.
8. Avoid negative people: You can’t always avoid all negative people but, you can make a conscious decision to walk away when someone is being negative and you can refuse to play into the negativity.
9. Surround yourself with positive people: If your friends are not positive then you need to make new friends. Hang out with those people you hope to be more like. Those who have a positive attitude and outlook on life.
10. Turn your face to the sun: The sun provides the body with the much needed vitamin D. It also increases the happy element in the brain. .
11. Laugh: They say laughter is the best medicine and they aren’t lying. Rent your favorite comedy from the local movie store or get tickets to your local comedy club the next time you need a boost.
12. Play: Your never too old to introduce a little play into your life. Run around the back yard with your dog, have a pillow fight with friends.
13. Daydream: Think about all the great trips you plan to take, fantasize about that dream home. These things tend to make us smile.
14. Find the positive in all situations: Instead of finding and tuning into the negative elements in every challenge try to find the good in them. Like maybe instead of getting upset that you have to work late focus on the extra income you can use to purchase something you really want.
Learning how to think positive doesn’t have to be a chore. It can be fun.
Make it a challenge for yourself.
Positive thinking and a positive attitude will soon become a way of life for you if you just devote a little time to getting happy.
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 01 окт 2011, 13:14 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||Re: POSITIVE THINKING Quotations|
Peale-Norman Vincent Peale.jpg [6.45 КБ]
THE POSITIVE THINKING THEORY
Dr. Norman Vincent Peale (1898– 1993) was a minister and author (most notably of “The Power of Positive Thinking”) and a progenitor of the theory of "positive thinking".
Peale started a radio program, "The Art of Living," in 1935, which lasted for 54 years. Under sponsorship of the National Council of Churches he moved into television when the new medium arrived. In the meantime he had begun to edit the magazine “Guideposts and to write books.
In 1945, Dr. Peale, his wife, Ruth Stafford Peale, and Raymond Thornburg, a Pawling, New York businessman founded “Guideposts” magazine, a non-denominational forum for celebrities and ordinary people to relate inspirational stories.
Peale was a prolific writer; The Power of Positive Thinking is by far his most widely read work. First published in 1952, it stayed on the New York Times bestseller list for 186 consecutive weeks, and according to the publisher, Simon and Schuster, the book has sold around 5 million copies.
President Ronald Reagan awarded Peale, for his contributions to the field of theology, the Presidential Medal of Freedom (the highest civilian honor in the United States) on March 26, 1984.
Criticism and controversy
• Hard to substantiate
• Concealed hypnosis
• Exaggerated fears
Upon hearing of Dr. Peale's death, U.S. President Bill Clinton had this to say:
The name of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale will forever be associated with the wondrously American values of optimism and service.
Dr. Peale was an optimist who believed that, whatever the antagonisms and complexities of modern life brought us, anyone could prevail by approaching life with a simple sense of faith.
And he served us by instilling that optimism in every Christian and every other person who came in contact with his writings or his hopeful soul.
In a productive and giving life that spanned the 20th century, Dr. Peale lifted the spirits of millions and millions of people who were nourished and sustained by his example, his teaching, and his giving.
While the Clinton family and all Americans mourn his loss, there is some poetry in his passing on a day when the world celebrates the birth of Christ, an idea that was central to Dr.Peal.
Peale-Norman Vincent Peale.jpg [6.45 КБ]
|Страница 1 из 1||Часовой пояс: UTC + 2 часа [ Летнее время ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group