|Random Acts of Kindness Day
|Страница 1 из 1|
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 08 фев 2011, 13:33 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||Random Acts of Kindness Day|
Random Acts of Kindness Day is the name of an unofficial holiday increasingly celebrated around the world by localities or organizations, or nationwide, in order to encourage acts of kindness. The original founder of Random Acts of Kindness Day is unknown.
The holiday is celebrated annually in the United States on February 17 and in New Zealand on September 1. In New Zealand, RAK day began at a national level in 2005 by Josh de Jong, Marshall Gray, Megan Singleton and Reuben Gwyn. It is not a holiday, rather a national day where the entire country is challenged to do something kind to a friend or stranger for no reason at all.
It's easy on a day like this to feel like being kind to someone is just another obligation or a must-do, something to check off our list. But there are other reasons for us to be altruistic and perform random acts of kindness.
Altruism has many physical and emotional health benefits, mainly because of the relief from stress that it offers. Even though when stressed, many people avoid being altruistic because they are (naturally) more focused on themselves and their own problems, and because they feel they don't have the time or money to help anyone else since they can barely cope themselves, engaging in a random act of kindness when stressed has the ability to actually help lower stress levels. And with those lowered stress levels come lowered blood pressure and increased benefits to the cardiovascular health.
Being kind and helpful to other people also reinforces our own sense of worth. Sometimes we become stressed because we think we can't handle our obligations in life, which can lead to depression if we think we are worthless and can't do anything right. Helping other people can remind us that we do have value and importance to someone, even if that person doesn't know us, because we performed a random act of kindness when no one else would. What a great self-esteem boost that is!
What are some of the things you can do on Random Acts of Kindness Day? (In addition to these ideas, Random Acts of Kindness Day is the perfect day to sign up to volunteer at a school, charity, or other organization.)
Hold the door to a building open for a stranger.
Offer to watch your neighbor's kids, or to mow their lawn or shovel their snow (for free!)
Allow a waiting car into traffic ahead of you.
http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/Sty ... Ideas.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHozenos ... re=related
2.jpg [ 167.85 КБ | Просмотров: 5389 ]
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 08 фев 2011, 13:35 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||Re: Random Acts of Kindness Day|
Random Acts of Kindness Day is an unofficial holiday; it's more like an awareness day, or a celebration, or an observance. However, it's celebrated globally. And various events take place, mostly through local organizations, events and efforts. It's really common in schools. It's a day set aside to focus specifically on being kind. The goal of the one-day focus is to encourage people to engage in acts of kindness all the time.
The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation lists upcoming holiday dates as:
Random Acts of Kindness Week: February 14-20, 2011
These are sort of larger efforts related to Random Acts of Kindness Day, which falls within Random Acts of Kindness Week. But, really, it can take place every day. And that's what most efforts, including those of the Foundation, try to encourage. The foundation offers tons of free resources to help people out.
In this lens, you'll find out about three easy ways to engage in random acts of kindness, three works that are all about the topic and are very inspirational, and a whole lot more!
Through reading this lens, my hope is that you'll gain an awareness of this great holiday and that you'll be inspired to carry out just one small act of kindness each day.
Share your acts here. There's a list set up for that purpose. You can add your ideas and vote the ideas up or down. You can even put a copy of the list on your own lens. Also, share your thoughts in the Guestbook at the bottom of the page (and let me know if the quote font works!).
|Автор:||Lanusic [ 08 фев 2011, 13:42 ]|
|Заголовок сообщения:||So where do you begin?|
To get you started, I have listed 29 ideas below. And why the number 29?
Because it is as good a number as any – and also because I couldn’t think of idea number 30!
Put them into practice and also create your own:
1. Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
2. Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
3. Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
4. Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
5. Buy a coffee for the man on the high street selling The Big Issue magazine.
6. Cut your neighbour’s hedge.
7. Walk your friend’s dog.
8. Give a compliment about your waiter / waitress to his / her manager.
9. Send someone a small gift anonymously.
10. Stop and help someone replace their flat tyre.
11. Let someone jump the queue at the bank.
12. Pay for the drinks on the next table at a café.
13. Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
14. Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
15. Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
16. Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
17. Write notes of appreciation at least once a week.
18. Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
19. Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
20. Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
21. Recommend a competitor to a potential client.
22. Give another driver your parking spot.
23. Give a piece of fruit to a delivery person.
24. Help an elderly neighbour carry the rubbish out.
25. Tell all your family members how much your appreciate them.
26. Leave a copy of an interesting book on a train / bus.
27. Buy an inspirational book for a friend.
28. Send a thank you note to a person who has helped you in the past.
29. Smile a lot.
What goes around is sure to come around – happy helping
Please apply these ideas in your life from today – and share your own ideas and how you get on with spreading kindness in the world in the comments. That way I won’t have to think up idea number 30 myself!
http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholi ... ndness.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_Act ... ndness_Day
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifest ... y-day.html
|Страница 1 из 1||Часовой пояс: UTC + 2 часа [ Летнее время ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group